Saturday, June 9, 2012

Behind the camera at Fox News


Once or twice a week I head out of the air-conditioned halls of Fox News...
and hit the street on a story.

It's often rainy, cold, and long
but it's live TV. 
And it's real New York.

Recently I've been out at Yankee Stadium for the NYU Commenement 
(featuring Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor - 
the 3rd woman to hold that position and the first ever Hispanic. 
Was she going to talk politics? Mention health care, the 2012 election, women's rights?
Nah. 
But we had to be there just in case she did.) 
http://a1.img.mobypicture.com/156b1d8cdc6ea38313ed713f30a72ddf_view.jpg

(Not my photo. See the media, down on the field? Yeah - I was down there. It was awesome.)

And I helped with a live shot for a story about the future of diesel cars (an electric car alternative?),

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cine_1/6886829.gif 
(Yes I know he's moving. It's a new app called Instagr.am. Cool huh?)

filmed Gregg Allman at the Sirius XM Studios, 
 

helped with a live shot downtown at the criminal justice building for the Etan Patz arraignment (spoke to defense lawyer as well. Terribly sad, but also a bit fishy. I don't think we'll be done with this story anytime soon.)

interviewed people at a NJ gas station about gas prices and the upcoming election (this one was just me and a photographer! Too fun!)

 helped with an interview with Congressman Pascrell on NJ (he was one half of a bitter incumbent vs incumbent election in NJ) and helped Eric Shawn set up a stand-up, 

 

and I also worked on a live shot at City Hall over Mayor Bloomberg's proposed ban on soda and sugar drinks over 16 oz in the city. 

(I got to shoot my own stand-up at this one. Thanks to Chris for jumping in as my still photographer!)





Fox has also sent me to field produce (all on my own!) at Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan.

We shot the parade of ships from all around the world sail up the Hudson River during Fleet Week (May 23-30). 

It's also the 100th anniversary of the war of 1812.
 
Tall Ships
 and
War Ships.

 
 That's the back of one of my favorite photographers, Mati. 
He's a real bona fide New Yorker.
You'd know it as soon as you met him.


and  last week I also shot the US Shuttle Enterprise as it was towed up the Hudson, on its way to the Intrepid
It was another gorgeous, slightly stormy day too. 




Both of those shoots were just me, a photographer, the LiveU,
(a satellite truck in a backpack - AMAZING)
and the responsibility of setting up a live shot that the Channel can cut to at any minute. 
Kinda intense.
especially when the LiveU is acting up,
or pedestrians get in my shot.
But it was a huge rush to finally be in charge of something. 
And if you've been on my Instagram (BrennaGD), you'll know that at the end of last week I also started making the rounds at the United Nations.
Kofi Annan, Ban Ki-moon?
Dream come true!
More on that soon!



















No comments:

Post a Comment