Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Re-Cap: My 21st


Turning 21 is a magical thing. 
You can do all sorts of things you couldn't do before. 
And lucky me, I got to spend it in New York City. 

But, as my Fox photographer friend Mati told me, 
"Brenna. You're a Mormon. Turning 21 in New York City is completely wasted on you." 

True that Mati. 

But that doesn't mean I can't have fun! 

 Gorgeous Italian dinner Saturday night at Pisticci's! 


Don't worry - it's a virgin cocktail. 

Miriam, Rebecca, and I had a lovely conversation with the waitress about the best drinks to "virgin-ize."
She was a good sport, but I can just hear the conversation in the kitchen when she put in the order.

"Hey Luigi - I need two blueberry lemon vodkas with mint for table 5. Two girls are turning 21."
"Oh iz wonderful! I'll make it strong - just for 'zem!"
"Well that's the thing, they want it without the vodka."
"No vodka?! Zey're turning 21, no?"
"Yep. But they're not drinking." 
"Are zey already drunk?"
"Nope. I think they're Mormons."

We'll never know.

Cheers!

But all that rule-following was exhausting. 
So, to liven it up a little, we committed some federal crimes.*


*I am TOTALLY kidding. But it was fun to check out the Grant Tomb Memorial. After hours. 
What police barrier?




 

 And after a ramble in what was pretty much Neverland....



We ventured inside the Riverside Church....
also illegally. 


But we didn't know! 
There was a wedding going on downstairs. 
Oops. 
We left right away. 
But it was GORGEOUS. 


On our way to dessert at Kitchenett (ice cream & oatmeal cookie sandwich!), 
I snapped a photo of one of my birthday surprises.


 City rats are the best. 
The girls thought I was weird. 
But he's so cute!!
Maybe Luigi did put something extra in my cocktail....


Birthday morning~ 
I-house waffle, phone calls to family, and
JAPAN BLOCK FAIR!



Best street fair ever!

I used my (horribly poor) Japanese the entire time,
and made some new friends!

These two ladies and the one taking the photo helped me tie an obi. 
(I was a bit hopeless at it.)
They were such happy people!


Then church in Harlem...
with a little bit of fun in Relief Society...

Stick-on Glam-Bam nails.
(Glam-Bam is my branding. Can you believe those things?!)
Thanks Becca!

Then some more family phone calls - and dinner at Miriam's sister Leann's place!
Leann and her husband John were so kind and treated me to fettuccine on my 21st. 
 And some fun with balloons. 

 
 

The missionaries were there too. One that was just about to leave, and one fresh from the MTC. 
They had some great stories about being a missionary in NYC.
Like, when they walk anywhere near Times Square and people stop and ask what the special is on Book of Mormon Musical tickets. 
They think the elders are walking advertisements. 
They're like, no, we're real Mormon missionaries.
And the people either laugh awkwardly and walk away, 
or are honestly interested and start asking questions. 
So funny.

Dinner was lovely, as was the spiritual thought from the elders. 
Birthday dessert: ice cream cones!


And a belated candle. 

Thanks to everyone who helped make my day deliriously great!!

Including you, New York City!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that your drink was served in a Ball jar!

    ReplyDelete